Fashion is a rapidly evolving industry and is considered the second most polluting industry after oil. And with the advent of 3D printing, it is expected to change.
For many years, fashion designers and manufacturers have been looking for sustainable ways to reduce its negative impact on the environment.
Because of the increasing global demands, there is a forecast that the fashion industry will be worth 43 billion US dollars in 2029 from 36 billion in 2019.
As a result, major brands have to come up with new processes to improve their business models and make their business processes sustainable without negatively impacting the environment.
One breakthrough technology is 3D printing or also known as additive manufacturing. This innovative technology has impacted other major industries such as food and aerospace.
This new method of production has disrupted the business models of the fashion industry, from design and product development to sourcing, manufacturing, and production.
Here is why 3D print technology is the key to more sustainable fashion industry.
3D Printing Brisbane and the Beginning of a New Era
The three most remarkable advantages of additive manufacturing are the no-waste approach, low cost, and flexibility in design and location.
This technology empowers fashion designers to experiment with innovative materials and structures that have never been done before.
One way 3D innovation can become a critical factor towards sustainable development is its capacity to use recyclable materials during the production stage. And by removing the need to transport the product across the globe as it can be printed on-site.
The result is zero-waste level manufacturing which is the main requirement for the fashion industry to become sustainable.
Practical Applications and Benefits of 3D Printing in Fashion
Additive manufacturing showcases the tremendous potential for growth in the fashion industry through its various practical applications and benefits.
- Designers can now create wearable clothing and innovate faster with limited geometrical constraints.
- Improves speed and efficiency in bringing new styles to market and supply chains as quickly as possible.
- Prototyping of products becomes cheap and time-efficient.
- 3D printing in fashion allows possibilities in terms of customization options. Fashion brands can fabricate seamless full garments and pieces based on consumers’ preferences.
- Makes expensive custom-designed clothing more accessible to the mass market.
- 3D printed garments and apparel are environmentally friendly and lead to lesser wastage.
- As part of sustainable fashion efforts, 3D printers reuse and recycle materials to create new designs.
In conclusion, 3D Printing Brisbane makes its presence impactful and beneficial in the apparel industry. Although this innovative technology has already established its presence, it still has a long way to go in terms of innovations and practical applications as this technology continues to grow.